Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Entry 129 7.30.11

Entry 129, July 30th, 2011, 2:32am (GMT +2)



We had a good jazz set tonight. Bit by bit the material from Kenny Werner's book, “Effortless Mastery,” is helping me let go of my playing.



Also, I figured a few things out on the horn this week. Over the past few months I've been building up the strength of my chops. This pushed my natural pitch sharp, but I didn't know this and so I kept setting up with my horn tuned the same way out of habit. This meant that I spent the whole day lipping everything flat to compensate. It was exhausting, and the stronger I got the worse I was fighting my own pitch! Now that I've figured it out, playing is much easier. I practiced this morning, played three shows, and was still fresh for the jazz set tonight. I'm still overblowing at the jazz sets, but that's another issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment