Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Entry 91 6.16.11

Entry 91, June 16th, 2011, 12:25am (ship time GMT +2)


I found an excellent pizza place today in La Spezia that was recommended to me by a friend. It is a place called “Bella Napoli” and it is more than a half hour's walk from the ship . . . which means it is in the part of town where all the locals actually go to eat. This, in turn, means that it is better and cheaper than anything near the ship. The pizza was fantastic, authentic Naples-style pizza – thin, but not hard, a sort of progenitor of the New York style.


There was also no English, spoken or written, anywhere in the place. I
speak some Spanish and have picked up a few words of Italian, but I was mostly guessing when it came to the menu. There was a pizza called “Bella Napoli” in the specialty section, and so I ordered
it. How bad can it be if it is named after the restaurant?


It wasn't bad at all, but it was very . . . interesting. The pizza came with cheese, sauce, ham, mushrooms, artichokes and a boiled egg in the middle! I meant to take a picture of it for posterity, but by the time I'd gotten my camera out it had already disappeared.


Delicious pizza, a big cold beer, and sidewalk seating, all for less than 10 euros. A good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment