Friday, June 3, 2011

Entry 75 5.27.11

Entry 75, May 25th, 2011, 12:59am (ship time GMT +2)




I fasted again today. This time it was harder to do – the hunger comes in waves, usually at mealtimes. This tells me that what I am feeling is a function of habit, not an actual need for sustenance. Regardless, I am looking forward to breakfast tomorrow morning!




I find fasting to be an interesting meditative tool. There is a sharpening of the mind that occurs when the body is not giddy on the wave of endorphins released from eating a meal. Also, the accumulation of appetite is a constant reminder to remain detached from my desires. In this way, it carries my morning meditation through the entire day.

1 comment:

  1. That was the main point of my fasting. Again the only thing I could think of in day 2 was coffee but the following days where a great meditative experience. Specially having the extra time you save by not cooking... A friend of mine fasts two times a week. Probably I should think about repeat this discipline again.

    ReplyDelete