Sunday, May 29, 2011

Entry 71 5.22.11

Entry 71, May 22nd, 2011, 4:32pm (ship time GMT +2)






I woke up this morning having fasted more than 24 hours and did not feel hungry in the slightest. In fact, I felt like I could have gone another whole day with no problems at all, but I decided not to. It is probably best to build these things up gradually; maybe I will go two days next time.






I'm not totally sure why I'm doing it. Partly I think it is an urge to emulate the ancient Buddhist and Zen masters, including the characters I am reading about in “Siddhartha” (more on this book later) (also, thanks to Maria Navedo for mentioning it in her blog, it is a great book!). Also, I think I am curious what sort of control I can exert over my own habits – it is part of the larger work of developing self discipline. And finally, if I am not afraid of being hungry, it will keep me from over-eating.

2 comments:

  1. I did a 5 day fasting once. Day 2 was the hardest. Specially for the caffeine withdrawal. But by day 4 and 5 I felt I could keep doing it longer. Interesting how much one can learn about its own body by fasting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt very light by the end of it . . . not lightheaded, but like I was made of sinew and thought and wasn't carry any extra baggage. A good feeling.

    I've never done five! What pushed you to try it?

    ReplyDelete