Sunday, May 15, 2011

Entry 57 5.4.11

Entry 57, May 4th, 2011, 9:05pm (ship time GMT +1)


Course: ENE Speed: 16 knots


Wind: Calm Waves: Very light swell from NNE




The ocean is closer to normal today. Still very calm, but now a light gray. I'm watching the sun set on the back deck, and the world is framed by a massive bank of low, flat clouds that stretch uniformly across the horizon. It is like being stuck in a large, flat box – ocean on one side, cloud on the other. I almost expect to look up and see ships sailing upside down on the clouds.




The weather changed several days ago; I forgot to mention it. Two days out of Barbados the temperature suddenly dropped about ten or fifteen degrees Fahrenheit, and the humidity dropped to practically nothing. It is now quite pleasant, much like mid or late spring in Michigan. This should make visiting the cities in Europe a bit more comfortable than the cities in Central America. The rest of the crew is of course bundled up in jackets and coats, but as a midwesterner I have a bit of a reputation to uphold and so have maintained my use of shorts and T-shirts.




Still no internet. We haven't seen so much as a jet contrail for almost a week. As far as most of the crew is concerned, the rest of the world may have ceased to exist. I have eaten the same lunch at the same time at the same table for six days in a row – if this was a Star Trek episode it would be one of those time loop ones (right about now Data and Guinan would be recalibrating the navigational deflector). I've been unable to update the blog for several days, which is unfortunate, but I will do my best to catch up once we are back in touch with the rest of the world.




I like being hard to reach, but I need to get off the ship and away from people for a bit tomorrow.




Absolutely magnificent sunset today. The air is so clear out here that the colors are actually different than on land. I could take pictures of it, but pictures of sunsets never seem to really turn out right.

No comments:

Post a Comment