Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Entry 45 4.21.11

Entry 45, April 21st, 2011, 4:59pm (ship time GMT -5)




Today's experiment: is the Earth really round?




I sat on the back deck, watching as we left Grand Cayman to see if things really disappeared from the bottom up (as they should if the Earth is round). I used a ship anchored off the coast as my point of reference. Unfortunately, as the island and anchored vessel approached the horizon, they became more and more obscured by the mist of humidity until, while I could still tell that they were there, I could not determine what parts of them were disappearing first. I believe that they disappeared from the bottom up, but I remain unsure. Some sort of magnifying instrument, such as a telescope, would have been necessary to really be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment