Saturday, April 21, 2012

Camino Entry 27

Day 27, December 21st, 2011

This morning as I was leaving the albergue I was glancing through the bookshelf.  Something called “Diary of a Magus” caught my eye – it sounded familiar and as I flipped it open I realized that it was a British printing of Coelho’s “The Pilgrimage.”  Finding a book about the Camino while actually on the Camino is not that surprising, but finding an English version of a book that brought me here out of nowhere feels like a sign that I am on the right path.


I flipped it open, and it landed on a discussion about one of Jesus’s sayings that I had stuck in my head all last night after reading the Occupy Wall Street stuff.  “It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven.”  Directly afterward, Coelho confronts his camino’s demon for the first time.  Was this a warning to me?  Am I about to confront mine?  I’ll be on my guard today.

Today is halfway, according to my original calculations, and also the winter solstice.  Logrono glitters below me – I’m off.

Expenses, Day 27
Cheese + Chocolate Milk: 5.38
Faux Moleskine Notebooks: 24.00
Café con leche: 1.10
Total: 30.48
Trip Total: 626.08

No comments:

Post a Comment