Sunday, March 27, 2011

Entry 15, 3.20.2011


Entry 15, March 20th, 2011, 4:18 (ship time)


Today is turnaround day in Colón. This week we're docked near the Coral Princess, a ship owned by princess cruise lines. She is a deck larger than us, and her promenade deck is on deck 4 instead of deck 5, so the end result is two extra decks of balcony cabins. It reminds me of the design of the Celebrity ships -- a real emphasis is placed on having as many balcony cabins as possible, while the Royal Caribbean ships seem to regard balcony cabins as an afterthought.


The oddest bit, though, about Princess line ships is the twin jet turbines mounted atop the funnel. I doubt, of course, that they are actually turbines, but that's what they look like. They are painted silver and are perhaps 30 or 40 meters long. I suspect they are purely aesthetic, but I have to wonder if perhaps they serve some sort of purpose.


I'm on shore right now, in an internet café waiting for my download of Musescore to finish. It's a free music notation program, which is something I need now as my copy of Sibelius 5 doesn't run on windows 7. I don't know if it will be any good, but I'll be sure to let everyone know once I've checked it out.


Yesterday I stopped by the Human Resources office on board to set up a wire transfer to get my paychecks back home. Surprisingly, it will take between four and six weeks to get set up . . . looks like I'll be using a safety deposit box until then. A bit of advice for anyone looking to play a ship gig -- bring a check with you. You'll need something with your name, your address, your bank, your bank's address, your account number, and your routing number on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment